Saturday, December 13, 2008

Winter in Morocco

It's not even winter. Winter doesn't start officially until December 21. I know this because it's my birthday. The shortest day of the year. And while it's often cold in Ohio around this time of year, there are many places one can go to get warm, like inside of a house, a cafe, a movie theatre. Not in Morocco. Not in the house. Not in the shower. Sometimes under the covers and countless blankets. But usually, you can see your breath inside and outside of any and all structures. This is my biggest complaint about Morocco. I would go so far as to say I hate it. I hate being cold. I hate waking up and not wanting to get out of bed because I'll be cold. I hate taking naps in the afternoon because it's cold. GRRR cold!

But there is one place where one finds warmth. A Hammam. This is a gorgeous cultural experience here in Morocco, and if you ever have the chance, you should try it. It's a foreign idea to us western women, stripping off our clothes, bathing bear-breasted with one another. But it's so warm in there. It's the most wonderful haven from the outside world. I'm not sure if I shared this experience with you before or not, but it's amazing. And I look forward to bringing my visitors to the hammam while they're here- mostly so they forget the misery of the weather. I apologize, I'm really down on that today.

On another note- school is almost over. A week from today I'm leaving for a few weeks- visiting a friend in London and exploring Istanbul and Venice. Thank goodness I'll have a recharge outside of the country. I need a change of pace, central heating, english?

I really miss the twinkly lights that are surely up for the holidays right now. I miss eggnog lattes, christmas trees, fireplaces, and hot showers. Enjoy those things a little extra for me.

B'salama

Megan

No comments: