Monday, August 25, 2008

So I know youve been waiting...

I know you've all been sitting at your computers, waiting for days upon days now to find out how it's been going. I just can't tell you, it's a secret.

Just kidding, I love it here, absolutely!

My first impression> it's almost better than home. It's honestly the first time I can remember that I've landed and been just as comfortable as I have been landing at home. I sat next to a really nice guy on the flight and he helped me out so much once we landed. He took me to his house and let me shower and rest while I waited until I could check in at my hotel where I'd meet with my tour group. But instead, we ended up spending the day together, drinking fresh juice near the coast of Casablanca and exploring grocery stores and train stations... very important research you see.

I met up with my group later that night, all Australians and super friendly. I love their accents, but sometimes, I can barely understand them- knickers, i'm not fast, knackered, dearer... alright, whatever. But they've been so great, and not too critical of me in light of Mr. Bush, many thanks for that.

I sort of fell in love with the tour guide, his name is Mohamed. At this point, 7 days later, I'm fairly certain that he woos at least one girl per tour group. But, at first, I thought I'd marry him. Think Megan, perhaps a little crazier, Moroccan, and add Japanese and German to the list of languages spoken- hey, I'll get there some day. He certainly is a charmer. And I would love to have his job. He tells me theyre looking for people at his agency, who knows people, I may never come home.

I need to stop and comment on how weird it is to communicate this stuff through the computer knowing that there's really now way I can express it so that it's understood on the other end. It's wonderful here, the people are amazingly friendly, accepting, open-minded, caring, beautiful... I absolutely love it. At the same time, I miss each one of you. Can I just have it all, please?

So far, the highlight of my trip- on a cultural level that is- has been when Abderrahim (my professor from OSU) invited me to a wedding late last Tuesday night when I was in Fez. The weddings here last many days, so this was just one night of the celebration. Lucky me, it was the night they kill the sheep. After finally understanding what was about to happen (at first I thought they were talking about beheading me considering the hand gestures they were using) I went out back and watched Abderrahim take a knife to the poor sheep's jugular. All the women stood in the kitchen singing Allah AlAkbahr (God is the greatest) and all the neighbors looked on from other apartments. Needless to say, after watching the half dead sheep stand again, then have gargantuan muscle spazams splashing blood all over the patio... well i've been sick ever since.

I have actually been sick since, but I'm fairly confident it wasn't the sheep that caused it. Our group has determined it was a tagine restaurant in the old city of Fez . 12/13 of us were sick by the day after, and I was hit pretty hard. In fact, I wish I could do more of a report on the food, but I haven't eaten much more than crackers and sprite since Wednesday of last week. I'm just working my way back to a meal today- a chicken skewer and some french fries. The food looks good though, just a lot of the same.

I haven't had the chance to get much yoga practice in. I did hop into a headstand before coming to use the internet today though, and it felt wonderful. Oh, and I did attempt a few vinyasas in the Sahara post camel ride, but the Australians told me "Enough of the yogar" not that I care what they think, I was just a little too sick then to be attempting anything to crazy. I have had lots of time to meditate, although it's still quite off setting to be so far away from everything that seems familiar.

I can already tell you that I'll be missing:

Ice water
Balanced Yoga
Romaine lettuce
Starbucks (pathetic, i know)
and all of you

I love you all Immensely.
I only hope to share that love with those I meet here.

Namaste.

2 comments:

scribbles said...

ah! you have a blog! i love you

Janice said...

Hi Megan - I am soo glad you are having a good time. I wish i was with you!! Please send me your cell number - I can't find it :( I felt bad - I could not call you back when you were in Cleveland. OK - now for the good stuff. . . What is your favorite Dylan song. . . I think Simple Twist of Fate is mine, but it always makes me cry!! Take care . . I can't wait to see you again . . be happy!