Monday, September 22, 2008

Forever and Ever Later

I've become somewhat frustrated with blogspot.  I have an entire post written up for ya'll on my computer, but there's no way to copy and paste it into blogspot.  For those of you that are VERY interested, check out facebook.  I posted it there. 

I'm happy to report that I have settled into a house with two other Americans.  Ensha-allah, I will not have future troubles with housing situations.  We live in the old city near Bab Boujloud, which is the famous arched doorway into the medina ancienne, or qadeema, or ancient, or anciano, or whatever language you're feeling like speaking at this particular moment. 

Language here is a fluid thing, speak whichever words you like, borrow from French, Spanish, English, or Japanese?  It's cool, just get you're point across.  One would think this may be cool, especially someone like me who is always wondering about other languages and the like.  But today, I made sure to ask my language tutor to teach me "go away!" in Moroccan Arabic (or Darija) because I'm pretty fed up with the english/french coming in my direction most nights.  Some of the best ones: "Come to  break fast with my family, we will spend beautiful times together!" (oh really?  confident if nothing else), "I  know you don't fast, you must break fast with me" (grrr, leave me alone), "Halow, you are so beautiful, are you married" (vomit).  I'm sick of Moroccan men.  

I was explaining to a friend early on that I figured my buzz cut would deter a few people.  But he quickly pulled out his lonely planet and read to me the excerpt on lesbians.  Moroccan men do not think lesbians exist.  They usually think the woman is (a) playing hard to get, (b) hasn't met the right man yet, adding to the collective conclusion of Moroccan men than American men are sexually inadequate.  So, even if they did pick up on some lesbian vibes, apparently that would do nothing but make their efforts greater.  

Another reason I'm frustrated with blogspot- it wont post my pictures.  I'll probably put a few up on a photobucket site or something and add a link.  

And Skype is a failure here.  

Perhaps at a time in the near future when I'm no longer super full, muy sick, and very tired, I will write a bit more. And i'll try to be more consistant. 

b'salama. 


1 comment:

scribbles said...

you can post it up. Just click on the "edit HTML" tab and then paste it in. love you.