Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The hole in the ground.

ATTENTION:WARNING:GRAPHIC

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before or not. But assuming I haven't, I'll start from the beginning. So, on my tour, most of the places we stayed- though kind to the budget- were fairly nice. They came fully equipped with beds, sheets, and bathrooms with toilet paper and European toilets. Now, this is not a common occurence in Morocco I've found. Usually, houses don't have European toilets, they rock out Asian style with the hole in the ground. (I promise to upload a picture in the future). I suppose it makes sense that bathrooms would be different here, but those first few weeks in hotels tricked me. What a tease. I first came into contact with only the hole option when I was stying in Mohamed's cement house. But I wasn't there long enough that I HAD to use it. At Hakima's, however, I wasn't quite as fortunate. I peed in it a few times yesterday, but prayed that I wouldn't have to do number 2.

Well, the time came. I couldn't hold it any longer. I've been keeping up with a diet heavy in fruit to keep myself regular, and I was priarie doggin' it, as you may say. So, I grabbed my cottenelle wipes, donned the bathroom shoes (crappy sandals) and marched into the room where the sacred hole is. I decided to remove my pants entirely to avoid anything to messy. I squatted nice and low, and even aimed well. I landed it right in the hole, and this thing isn't big, probably the size of a baseball. It was the most intimate I've been with my own feces, at least that I can remember. But, I couldn't help but smile. This was a real accomplishment.

Now, you may wonder how you flush, I mean, it is just a shallow hole. But no, they've got this figured out. The hole is connected to a little ramp, or 'shit shoot' if you will. Next to the hole, there is a faucet and a bucket which you fill with water and then dump down the hole, which encourages the poop to take a ride. The same can be done with toilet paper or my cottenelle wipes. I was pleased to leave the holeroom in the same state as I had found it. What a day.

In addition, today is a rather big day in the Muslim world as well. I've decided that I will take part in the festivities, so I suppose its just a day of firsts for me as well. Today marks the start of Ramadan. For anyone that doesn't know, Ramadan is the month of the year (according to the lunar calandar) in which all Muslims fast from sun up to sun down. Some people wake up early, before sun up, to eat and then do the dawn prayer. Otherwise, during the day, you don't ingest anything, no food, no water, no lipgloss or brushing of teeth even. I decided to participate because its super disrespectful to eat in front of those fasting and I'm hardly ever on my own. Besides, I want to be immersed in the culture, I don't want to stick out, I want to be a part of. Today is day one, only 29 to go. But to tell you the truth, its already afternoon and I don't foresee it being too bad. We'll all break the fast together tonight after sun down and both evening prayers, around 11pm (which seems to be the usual dinner time anyways).

I had a nice convo about polygamy with Abderrahim last night- he supports it 100%. More to come on that in a post to follow.

Blessings. Ma'salama.

2 comments:

Vynl + Schwinn said...

At times, I wish I too started the fast - but I was not prepared to, mentally, spiritually, emotionally nor energetically. However, I have been helping Sharjeel (I am aware you don't know much of him besides anything I might have known myself at the airport) with his morning meal. I was afraid that he wouldnt be awake today- and sure enough, he slept through his meal. I know he is used to the possibility of this happening and he can deal, but he and I have been expending our energy crazily-and I knew because of this he'd over sleep and be a wreck the next day. He seems to be doing okay- and is obviously eating at this moment if not passed out. I felt terrible that my phone died-because I could have prevented his sleep through- what can I say- maybe I am a tad psychic.

On a funnier note, we went to the Subzi Mandi (veggie mart) in Jackson Hts (the Desi section of town) to gather food to prepare for Ramadan and as we parked, we asked if the person in front of us could move up to give us space. I was driving and Sharjeel was shot gun. I remained in the car to edit his personal statement and keep the car from being ticketed while he went in for the supplies. When he was asking for dates and almonds, the guy from the parking situation was near him- of course, in asking for dates, it was apparent that it would be for Ramadan, so the man asked accordingly, "are you preparing for the Ramadan?" (and Sharjeel said, yes). The eyes of the man who noticed us in the car together went wide with a bewildered expression.

Ah time to read for Anatomy and such...

Phir Milenge ("see" you soon)

tom said...

LOL 2/3 of a blog about the toilet, I kinda like those ones and I'm sure washing is so much more, well cleaner, than paper OK I'll stop. Pretty impressed RE Ramadan. Also imprerssed with the 'Desi' area in the US of A! Wait til I show u Southall and Birmingham!

PS from before, Namaste is Hindi right?!